When I was in Minnesota in the middle of August I was fortunate enough to spend lots of time with my precious nephew. We spent a day together, along with my mom, which involved a walk to a pier for some rock throwing, eating popsicles, throwing plums into the garden, and playing with water. It was a blast to see this little guy constantly on the move, and I made it my goal to photograph our adventures that day.
I thought it might be good to post something other than graduate work (something a bit more simple), so I went digging into my folders for things I had meant to share but never got around to. A few weeks ago (I guess it was back in August, so a bit more than a few weeks ago; yikes time has flown by) we had some scattered storms roll through Manhattan. I sat and watched this one move for a while, enamored by the dramatic clouds and the clear distinction of where the rain was.
Presentation has been an issue for me since the beginning of this project. After trying both a luster paper as well a mat paper (almost a printmaking type paper) I have decided that I am not a huge fan of how the prints look on stiff paper. It just doesn’t look right. And so, I have been looking for something lighter and possibly transparent for a few weeks now. I printed some on transparencies, which I think work better in some ways, but I still wanted to test more materials. This week has been the start of those experiments. Using a light-sensitive dye I exposed negatives of my multiple exposures onto fabric. I have a variety of fabrics at this point, as well as different types of negatives and different ways of applying the dye. It has been a major learning process so far, and I still have lots of problem solving to do, but I’m excited about the possibilities with this.
The first round didn’t go well at all. My images basically didn’t show up at all.
The second round of tests went much better. You can actually see an image somewhat, which was exciting, but I am still hoping to figure out how to get more detail in future tests.
I recently gathered and painted enough objects to shoot a new color. It was a pretty quick shoot resulting in only a few images, and I’m still wanting a bit more variety in objects, but overall I really enjoy how these turned out.
I also just finished spraying objects with the next color this evening (as you can see below), so I should have some multiple exposure images to share this week!
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
Time for the third set of images from my current series. The glass objects are some of my favorite in this series of multiple exposures. I love the distortion that happens, and they have a bit more of an ethereal feel to them in my opinion.
These are all I have for now, but hopefully this week I will be testing some different materials for display, as well as spray painting some new objects in a different color and shooting lots more. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend!