Presentation has been an issue for me since the beginning of this project. After trying both a luster paper as well a mat paper (almost a printmaking type paper) I have decided that I am not a huge fan of how the prints look on stiff paper. It just doesn’t look right. And so, I have been looking for something lighter and possibly transparent for a few weeks now. I printed some on transparencies, which I think work better in some ways, but I still wanted to test more materials. This week has been the start of those experiments. Using a light-sensitive dye I exposed negatives of my multiple exposures onto fabric. I have a variety of fabrics at this point, as well as different types of negatives and different ways of applying the dye. It has been a major learning process so far, and I still have lots of problem solving to do, but I’m excited about the possibilities with this.
The first round didn’t go well at all. My images basically didn’t show up at all.
The second round of tests went much better. You can actually see an image somewhat, which was exciting, but I am still hoping to figure out how to get more detail in future tests.
I recently gathered and painted enough objects to shoot a new color. It was a pretty quick shoot resulting in only a few images, and I’m still wanting a bit more variety in objects, but overall I really enjoy how these turned out.
I also just finished spraying objects with the next color this evening (as you can see below), so I should have some multiple exposure images to share this week!
Time for the third set of images from my current series. The glass objects are some of my favorite in this series of multiple exposures. I love the distortion that happens, and they have a bit more of an ethereal feel to them in my opinion.
These are all I have for now, but hopefully this week I will be testing some different materials for display, as well as spray painting some new objects in a different color and shooting lots more. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend!
Time for a few more images from my current graduate work! If you missed the last post, I would suggest reading it first, so that this post will make a bit more sense. This time around I am sharing the multiple exposures from the white objects. I still have the glass ones to share, and then hopefully by that point I will have a new color ready to photograph and post.
Happy Monday everyone, I hope your week is off to a great start!
I have recently been sharing with you all simple images of still life scenes. In some of those posts I vaguely mentioned that they were essentially just components of my current graduate work, but that I wasn’t quite ready to share those images yet. Well, after sitting on them for a few weeks, and talking to a few professors about the images, I am ready to share. I will be sharing them over the next week (or longer), with the first set being of the blue objects, so be sure to check back for more.
The title of this post is my working title for the series. It is something that popped into my head while writing this post, so it is likely to change, but for now that is how I will refer to these images. The series is more or less a visualization of the difficulty of remembering. Trying to recall things that perhaps aren’t very important or monumental can cause confusion in most of us on the best days, but for those that have something that impacts their memory (things like Alzheimer’s, schizophrenia, PTSD, and numerous other disorders, diseases, etc.) it can be extremely difficult. I have been researching memory, and various things that can affect it, but of course still have a lot to learn (as do researchers). My images have sort of progressed along with my research; as I learn about memory and things that make us forget my images shift and change.
These images were all in-camera multiple exposures. They range anywhere from 3 to 9 exposures (I can’t recall the number per each image), and then minimal editing was done to the final images. I have also been thinking about presentation ideas for these (since my thesis show is quickly approaching), and have some exciting things planned (to try at least).
So, enough rambling, I hope you enjoy the first set!
I am proud to say that I have passed through my mid-program review, and am now an official MFA candidate! It was a huge relief to get past that point. My committee had lots of great comments for me and gave me lots of things to consider as I continue moving forward with this work. Since I feel confident with how the meeting went I thought I would share a few more images with you all.
Now to work on the suggestions my committee made and see where the work goes from here!
My big meeting is quickly approaching, which means I have all of my images decided on at this point. Right now I am sitting in our digital lab printing all of my images and trying to get everything else ready. While I wait for my next print to finish, I thought I would share another image here. This one feels the most like me, and is closer to my typical style of shooting for some reason, and because of that it is one of my favorites so far.
I will be sharing more images in the coming days I am sure, so make sure to check back soon! I also may have images of delicious desserts up this weekend, if that is an incentive to come back 🙂